Potato variety Sonny is little known among summer residents. He did not pass special agrotechnical tests and is not registered in the State Register. Nevertheless, farmers and gardeners who know this variety speak well of it, grow it successfully and get high yields.
Description of the potato variety Sonnok
The origin of this variety is still unknown: according to one version, it was obtained by Leningrad scientists, according to another, more likely, it was bred in the process of folk selection.
Potatoes Sonny belongs to the mid-late varieties. The vegetative ripening period is 120-140 days. This variety is not included in the State Register. Unpretentiousness, resistance to weather extremes, lack or excess of moisture and heat allow it to be grown in almost any region, and the southern and central regions of Russia, Ukraine, Moldova are best suited.
Appearance and yield
Potato Sonny grows into a short, erect, compact bush with moderately spreading shoots. On rich soils, the bushes are larger. Leaves are dark green, medium in size, with slightly wavy edges. Large, fast-falling white flowers are collected in compact corollas. Berry formation in this variety is low. It has a well-developed root system - one bush can produce up to 40 potatoes.
Sonny potato bushes grow short and compact
Sonny potato tubers have a round-flat shape. The peel is cream-colored with a pink tint, reticulate with few superficial eyes. The average mass of tubers is 70–85 g. But they can reach 500 g, so this variety received a different name - Bogatyr. The pulp is white, does not darken during cutting and heat treatment.
Sonny potatoes are high-yielding varieties. With proper agricultural technology and favorable conditions, one bush can produce up to 40 tubers.
Due to late maturation, the Sonny accumulates many valuable nutrients and vitamins. Like all late varieties, it has an average starch content that ranges from 13.4 to 14%. Differs in good taste. During culinary processing, tubers retain their even shape and color, do not boil over. They are universal for use: they are boiled, fried, baked, stuffed, mashed.
When boiling, Sonny's potatoes do not boil and retain their color
The son is resistant to various diseases inherent in potatoes. It is avoided by diseases such as potato cancer, scab, rot and viral infections. It is slightly affected by the black leg. It resists late blight worse, but it is the scourge of almost all potato varieties.
Resistant to many diseases, potatoes Sonny can be affected by late blight
It should be noted such an important characteristic of the variety as its storage capacity. Sonny potato tubers, stored for storage, do not subsequently require bulkhead and culling. They are able to withstand the violation of temperature and humidity. Even potatoes damaged during digging do not undergo putrefactive processes and are perfectly stored.
Propagation of potatoes by seeds
It's good when there is an opportunity to purchase tubers of your favorite potato variety at an affordable price, or there are potatoes left for planting from the harvest of last year, grown in your garden. And if it is expensive to buy, but your own tubers are few? In this case, growers can grow potatoes using seeds, collecting them from their site or buying them in the store. The method of planting potatoes with seeds is also used if the yields begin to fall (potatoes "degenerate").
One of the biological features of potatoes grown from seeds will be heterogeneity in early maturity, shape and color of tubers, and resistance to diseases.
Table: advantages and disadvantages of planting potatoes with seeds
|The price of seeds is lower than that of planting tubers.||Time consuming and painstaking work.|
|Long (up to 10 years) shelf life.||This method is not suitable for short summer conditions.|
|The yield is 15-25% higher than with traditional cultivation.||A full harvest is usually obtained in the second year.|
|Potatoes are more resistant to diseases and environmental influences.||Weak and fragile seedlings.|
|The possibility of breeding work in your garden.||When grown from seeds harvested from their own garden, the varietal characteristics of the parent variety are not preserved.|
Work on growing potato seedlings begins in the last days of March or early April:
- The seeds are soaked for 2-3 days in damp gauze, cloth or paper. To increase germination, it is recommended to treat seeds with solutions of trace elements and biostimulants (for example, Epin or Zircon).
- Within 10-15 days, seeds are hardened by changing temperatures: overnight they are placed in a refrigerator with a temperature of no higher than +1aboutC, and during the day - in the room.
- Germinate seeds in a damp cotton wool or napkin, placing them in a heat, for example, on a battery. After two weeks, sprouts appear from the seeds.
- Sprouted seeds are placed in containers with a nutrient mixture. It is prepared from garden soil and peat in a ratio of 1: 4. You can use ready-made seedling mix from the store.
- The seeds are planted in grooves to a depth of 0.5–1 cm according to the following scheme: 25 cm apart and 10 cm between the grooves. About 90-100 seeds are sown in one container 60x50 cm.
- The crops are covered with a layer of sand of 0.5 cm, slightly compacting it to avoid flushing during watering.
- It is loosened and watered regularly and very carefully - the sprouts of the potatoes are very fragile. The temperature in the room where the seedlings are grown is maintained at least 15-17aboutFROM.
Potato sprouts need care when weeding and watering
- 25–30 days after sowing, when the seedlings grow up to a height of 7–10 cm, they are dived into plastic cups or peat pots with holes for drainage, buried down to the cotyledon leaves.
- After picking the plants, for better rooting, it is useful to feed them with ammonium nitrate (10 g per 10 l of water) and water them abundantly with warm water. When growing seedlings, it is necessary to maintain a constant temperature (at least +15aboutHappy and +10aboutC - at night) and lighting.
- After 35–40 days, the seedlings will grow to 15–20 cm and can be planted in the ground.
Seedlings are ready for planting in the ground 40 days after planting seeds
Planting seedlings in open ground
After the end of frost (usually on the twentieth of May), the seedlings are planted on the site. Dig holes 10-15 cm deep, put in them 300-400 g of humus and watered (0.5 liters of water per hole). Seedlings are planted to a depth with the expectation that 2-3 leaves remain above the ground.
To obtain seed tubers, plants are planted at a distance of 10–20 cm in a row. Then from each bush you can get many small potatoes, which will be an excellent planting material for next year. To grow potatoes for consumption, a distance of 40 cm is left between the plants - in this case, large tubers ripen, but their number decreases. In both cases, there should be 60–70 cm between the rows.
Video: growing potatoes from seeds
Caring for the planted seedlings is no different from the cultivation of potatoes planted in the traditional way: loosening, hilling, pest control. The only difference is a more attentive attitude to watering (be sure to water during dry periods) and top dressing. During the growing season, it is necessary to apply fertilizers three times: they are diluted in 10 liters of water and 0.5 liters are added under each bush:
- During the growth of the tops: 1 tbsp. l. urea or 0.5 liters of mushy mullein.
- In the budding process: 2 tbsp. potassium sulfate or 1 cup of wood ash.
- During flowering: 2 tbsp. superphosphate and 1 liter of Nitrophoska.
Reviews of gardeners about potatoes Sonny
From 2-3 tubers you get at least 12-14 bushes. However, there are 8 to 13 tubers under the bush.
I have been planting these potatoes for the second year and I am very happy. But I still think that it is necessary to have several different varieties on the site. Maybe some sort, as they say, is not on the ground. We now have 14 varieties, and there is no year on year: sometimes the harvest is larger, sometimes less, but on the whole we are satisfied.
The seller said that this is the Bogatyr variety. I planted it, looked after the culture as best I could. Just the other day I dug it up and was amazed: the potatoes grew huge, smooth, even, without eyes, the inside is yellowish, tasty.
Sonny is a hero among potato varieties. Many vegetable growers note its unpretentiousness, adaptation to climatic conditions, disease resistance and high yield. Observing the rules of agricultural technology, you can get over nine buckets of harvest from a bucket of planted potatoes.
[Votes: 1 Average: 4]
The main advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Among the virtues of the White Swan:
- excellent presentation - white color and smooth surface, which gave the name to the culture
- early maturity
- high productivity.
There are also disadvantages:
- potatoes have a neutral taste that not everyone will like
- medium friable, darkens during cooking
- not stored for long.
Difference from other varieties
White swan ripens faster than other varieties and is considered not particularly demanding on the quality of the soil. Potatoes also differ in weight: if other varieties have tubers of 100-130 g each, then the White Swan is much larger - up to 500 g.
Advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of the Nadina variety:
- early ripening
- the ability to harvest 2-3 crops
- resistance to most nightshade diseases
- high yield
- unpretentious care
- the pulp does not darken when cut and after boiling
- keeping quality 93%, allowing to store the crop until spring.
Disadvantage - predisposition to late blight of tops and tubers.
Characteristics of potato varieties: everything you need to know about the most productive varieties
at the request of Yandex and Google
Undoubtedly, potatoes remain the most popular and demanded cultivated plant that is grown in vegetable gardens. Today there are a huge number of varieties, but not all are fruitful. In this article, we will give detailed descriptions of the potato varieties that are worthy of your garden and the energy expended!
The description of the Scarlet potato variety should start with the fact that it was bred in Holland. It can be classified as an excellent early maturing variety. The result of planting this variety is rather large and tasty fruits. Red Scarlet is ideal for frying and cooking.
It should be noted that this variety grows well even in arid soil. This is an indisputable plus, but Scarlet also has a significant drawback: the variety is prone to diseases, in particular, to scab and late blight. See photos of Scarlet potatoes below.
As for the bushes of this Dutch species, they are quite compact and undersized. Potatoes bloom with light purple flowers of a pleasant shade. The shape of the potato is oblong, smooth. The peel in Red Scarlet is lilac, there are small eyes.
Pay attention to the flesh: it is pale yellow in color. On average, one tuber weighs about eighty grams. If you properly care for this variety, then from one hundred square meters you can collect up to two hundred kilograms of potatoes.
Most often, this variety is grown in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine.
So, a short description of the Red Scarlet potato variety:
- heat resistance
- not afraid of diseases such as hookworms and cancer
- good keeping quality of tubers
- a large yield (the variety can be safely called fruitful).
On a note! The Scarlet variety ripens closer to the beginning of September. On average, one bush gives fifteen tubers.
If you are interested in really the best varieties of potatoes, then pay attention to Gala.
Here is a list of his undisputed advantages:
- medium-sized bush, large leaves
- there are few flowers on the bushes, they are all white
- with proper care, you can collect up to four hundred kilograms from a hundred
- round tubers with small and not deep eyes, yellow rind
- pulp color bright yellow
- ripens in eighty days on average
- the weight of one potato is from seventy to one hundred and twenty grams
- up to 25 tubers can be harvested from one bush (see photos of Gala potatoes below).
Also, in the description of the Gala potato variety, it is worth noting that the tubers contain a small amount of starch. As for the taste characteristics, they are impeccable. Gala makes excellent soups, salads, roasts.
Another variety that came to us from distant Holland. These early potato varieties thrive best in southern climates, however, they grow well in the middle lane. This variety is distinguished by a consistently high yield level. In addition, the variety is practically indifferent to popular diseases.
So, a description of the Impala potato variety:
- tall bushes (up to eighty centimeters)
- white flowers on the bushes
- each bush can form six to eight tubers
- one potato weighs approximately 70-140 grams
- oval tubers, and small eyes
- well-recognizable thin yellow skin, smooth surface
- the color of the flesh is light yellow, contains a lot of nutrients
- very early appearance: tubers ripen fifty days after being planted
- excellent taste.
Descriptions of early potato varieties are impossible without Zhukovsky. It was bred in Russia, and this variety can be grown on absolutely any soil. You can harvest the crop already two months after planting.
So, a description of the Zhukovsky potato variety:
- medium-sized bushes, semi-spreading structure of bushes
- leaves are quite large, dark green
- as for flowers, they are collected in rather compact inflorescences, which are decorated with a red-purple corolla with white stripes
- the tubers have a pink and rather smooth peel with small eyes
- potatoes are quite large, round-oval shape
- by weight, one potato can be up to one hundred and seventy grams
- white pulp of a tuber
- up to ten tubers are obtained from one bush.
The fruits ripen sixty days after being planted. The variety has a very stable and fairly high yield. Potatoes are not afraid of mechanical damage, they are quite resistant to cold.
If you are looking for fruitful potatoes, then Adretta is an excellent choice. This is one of the most popular German varieties: a good gardener can collect up to four hundred kilograms of harvest from a hundred square meters.
So, a description of the Adretta potato variety:
- erect and vigorous bushes
- oval tubers
- yellow rough peel, almost no peephole
- yellow pulp
- one potato weighs an average of one hundred and thirty grams. There are many vitamins and nutrients in the tubers of this variety. Delicious mashed potatoes are obtained from Adretta, because the potatoes boil well
- bushes are quite indifferent to most viral diseases.
Luck is an early maturing and high-yielding variety. The yield of marketable tubers is up to one hundred percent; Luck is also perfectly stored in the winter. White flowers bloom on the bushes, and the bush itself is low, medium in size.
The potato is quite large and oval, the peel is light yellow, the flesh is white. It should be said about the worthy taste characteristics of the variety.
True, it is worth remembering one important feature of the Luck variety: it must be planted exclusively in soil that is well warmed up. At the same time, the variety is not afraid of viruses and diseases.
Bellarosa potatoes are another fruitful variety that grows well in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia. Bellarosa comes from Germany, and you can tell the following about him:
- tall and erect bushes, rather large leaves
- red-purple flowers
- rounded tubers, light red or pink skin color. The peel is slightly rough, there are small eyes
- light yellow pulp
- on average, one potato weighs about one hundred and ten grams. There are tubers that weigh eight hundred grams!
- with proper care from one hundred square meters, you can collect up to three hundred and fifty kilograms of potatoes.
The bushes of this variety are medium in size, well branched. The bushes bloom with white flowers, the tubers are oval in shape with a light yellow peel. As for the pulp, it is creamy. The variety is quite fruitful, and the yield of marketable tubers is up to ninety-five percent.
Nevsky is perfectly stored at low temperatures, as the sprouts germinate early. Like the Udacha variety, Nevsky requires that it be planted in the ground, which is well warmed up. If you fertilize the soil optimally, you will see the result quickly.
A small disadvantage, we would call a tendency to certain diseases.
This variety is highly popular in the CIS. It ripens early and grows successfully in a wide variety of soils.
- blooms with white flowers
- round tubers
- leaves are dark green: they are the main characteristic of this variety
- Timo bushes are susceptible to organic and mineral fertilizers
- small tubers by weight - from sixty to one hundred and twenty grams
- potatoes of this variety are stored for a long time, resistant to high temperatures and humidity. Not afraid of mechanical damage. Thanks to the whole range of his qualities, Timo is very popular in the market today.
- If you are looking for delicious potatoes, then stop at Timo: the tubers have an impeccable taste.
the peculiarity of this variety is that it can be grown in almost any climatic conditions, which is why Ivan da Marya is so popular in Eastern Europe. It is this variety that will give a decent harvest, where others will not even germinate. Like many other varieties, it was produced in Holland, where it was nicknamed Picasso.
So, a description of the potato variety Ivan da Marya:
- rather tall and erect bushes
- bloom with white flowers
- flowering is quite abundant
- root vegetables that are already ripe are distinguished by a yellow skin and a rounded shape
- there are blotches of pink on the peel
- as for the peephole, they are also pinkish
- the average weight of one potato will be about one hundred and twenty grams
- the pulp is creamy.
We conclude the article with another fruitful variety, which was also bred by Dutch breeders. From the point of view of cultivation, the Romano variety is unpretentious and quite profitable.
A few words about its main parameters:
- bushes are tall and erect
- small corollas are formed on the bushes
- as for the colors, they are marked by a reddish-purple hue
- short-oval tubers
- the average weight of one potato is one hundred grams
- the tubers have a dense and smooth pink rind. There are small eyes
- the pulp is light cream.
These are good tasting potatoes. You can harvest the crop already three months after planting. From one bush, approximately eight hundred grams of potatoes are obtained.
In our latitudes, Romano is very popular for its presentation and excellent yield. Many growers call it the most economically profitable variety.
Plus, the variety is not afraid of diseases and viruses, is rarely attacked by insects (including the Colorado potato beetle).
We have everything: we advise you to pay attention to these varieties of potatoes. Indeed, with the wrong choice, you will have to deal with low yields, diseases and high demands on plants. Let's not complicate our life! And the gardener's and gardener's lunar calendar for 2017 will help you determine when to plant.
Svitanok Kievsky: description of the potato variety, characteristics, agricultural technology
It is difficult to imagine a country in which potatoes would not be consumed. One of the popular varieties used in the states of Europe and Asia is Svitanok Kievsky. Its tubers have good taste and are stored without loss until the next harvest.
Origin and characteristics
This is a product of the selection of Ukrainian scientists. At the end of the eighties, it was successfully tested in the Russian Federation. In 1987 it was entered into the State Register of Russia. The product is ideal for areas with temperate and continental climates. Especially loved in countries such as Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Moldova.
An upright bush with a well-developed structure. Its peculiarity is that it does not fall apart, even by the end of the growing season. Leaves are medium in size, dark green gamut.
The plant is abundantly strewn with pink and purple flowers. Ripening category - mid-early cultivar.
Moscow region and Moscow prefer to grow it and some other early varieties, since the heat period in this region is short.
Description of the fetus
The tuber is round in shape, slightly elongated at the end. The surface of the fruit is smooth, with pink or red eyes. The peel is very thin, the flesh of the potato is slightly visible through it. Inside, the fruit is creamy.
The average tuber weight is 100 grams. With proper agricultural technology, it reaches 130-140 grams. Contains various vitamins and minerals. The fruit is starchy, its level reaches 20%. Potato starch helps lower blood cholesterol levels.
Potatoes Svitanok Kiev
Potatoes Svitanok Kievsky has a high yield. Depending on weather conditions, from 200 to 300 kilograms of potatoes are removed from 1 hectare. In addition to the weather, ripening depends on the climatic zone and cultivation techniques. In warm regions, the collection of root crops begins at the end of June in cold regions - ripening occurs at the end of summer.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Potatoes with the name Svitanok have the following advantages:
- he has excellent taste
- significant amount of starch, trace elements, vitamins, minerals
- even under unfavorable conditions, high yield
- fruit of presentation
- the variety is undemanding to care for, drought-resistant
- it is resistant to disease.
The disadvantages of the variety include the impact on it of the Colorado potato beetle, bear, wireworm.
Potatoes Svitanok Kiev gives a big harvest
The culture is adapted for open ground. The land is preferable to sandy loam. Depending on the region of planting and weather conditions, seed is planted in mid-April or in May.
Potatoes are planted to a depth of no more than 10 centimeters, the distance between tubers is 30-35 centimeters. The row spacing is 60 centimeters. The plant can be used in the same area for several years without regenerating. The yield is not lost from this.
Several times per season, the soil must be fed with cow or poultry droppings, mineral fertilizers. Top dressing is done before watering the soil. The positive property of this cultivar is that it easily tolerates slight drought. It is not recommended to over-water it in order to avoid the appearance of cracks on the tubers.
Be sure to weed, loosening the soil, hilling bushes. The more often the soil is processed, the larger the tubers, and the more they will grow.
Prevention of diseases and pests
Svitanok Kievsky belongs to a potato variety that easily tolerates diseases of nightshade crops. Nevertheless, it is necessary to carry out preventive measures against diseases, for example, planting tubers in different areas every year.
The stems and leaves of potatoes can be exposed to the Colorado potato beetle, and the tubers - bears, wireworms. Agricultural experts recommend applying herbicides prior to planting the seed in the soil to minimize pest damage.
Attention! If, when collecting root crops, tubers remain in the planting area, they can become a breeding ground for putrefactive bacteria. For this reason, the area must be thoroughly cleaned.
Due to its unpretentiousness and high taste, this variety of potatoes has found extensive use in industrial agriculture and in the private plots of summer residents. Root crops after heat treatment become crumbly, have a delicate taste. Due to these qualities, varietal potatoes are widely used in culinary production.
Agricultural technology: features
To obtain the maximum yield and the indicators declared in the State Register, it is necessary to comply with the basic agrotechnical requirements.
Selection and preparation of the landing site
For any variety of potatoes, sunny, well-lit ridges are selected. Exclude low-lying areas, areas with a close passage of groundwater. If there is no possibility of planting in other places, equip a high-quality drainage system.
Since autumn, humus, compost, superphosphate are introduced into the soil. It is advisable to add wood ash to the ground in spring, when plowing (digging) or immediately into the holes when planting
An important condition for a good crop yield is compliance with crop rotation in the garden. Potatoes grow well after legumes, cabbage, cucumbers
For the improvement of the site, it is recommended to sow green manures in the fall, after harvesting the potatoes. With early sowing, siderates are mowed, with late sowing, the plants go under the snow. It is undesirable to plant potatoes after "relatives - crops of the nightshade family: tomatoes, sweet peppers, eggplants." These vegetables have the same pests and diseases, so there is a great risk of catching an infection.
Tubers are laid out for germination in a warm and bright room, the timing is 2-3 weeks before the day of planting. Seed material is sorted, diseased and low-quality specimens are removed.
Before planting, potatoes are etched in solutions of potassium permanganate, copper sulfate, Prestige, Maxim preparations, and sprayed with growth stimulants. Such pre-planting preparation protects plants from pest damage, the occurrence of fungal and viral infections, and facilitates further care for the gardener.
Planting times depend on the weather and climate of the region. According to folk signs, potatoes are planted during the opening of leaves on a birch. The main reference point is the temperature of the soil, which should warm up well (up to + 8ºC… + 10ºC). Early planting in cold soil is undesirable, as the potatoes will sit in the ground for a long time.
Approximate planting scheme: between holes - 45 cm, between rows or ridges - 60-70 cm. It is impossible to reduce the distance, since this variety has very powerful bushes and spreading tops. The plant needs a sufficient area to feed, otherwise the yield will be lower. Cutting tubers into pieces for planting is not practiced, as this leads to the appearance of infections, weakening of the bushes. Planting to a depth of 6-8 cm (loam), 10 cm - sandstone.
Watering and feeding
Picasso is quite picky about irrigation and fertilization. The first time is watered a week after planting, then - as needed. In the presence of precipitation, irrigation is not required, but at the same time, the condition of the plants and the land is necessarily controlled. It is impossible to allow prolonged drying of the soil, the appearance of a dense crust on the surface. After flowering, watering is stopped.
If the necessary fertilizers are applied to the ridges in the fall and spring, then during the growing season they do with foliar dressing. Spray with a solution of ready-made fertilizers (nitroammophoska, superphosphate) until budding and flowering. During this period, there is an intensive growth of tubers on the stolons, so the food should be complete and balanced.
Loosening and weeding
Immediately after planting, for about 2-3 days, the area with planted potatoes is harrowed. They remove weeds, a dense crust on the surface, provide oxygen access to the roots. Subsequently, the soil is loosened in the aisles until the tops close.
Note! Loosening and weeding is carried out only after watering or rain.
Potato beds are necessarily weeded, not giving the weeds freedom. Without proper supervision, weeds grow rapidly, drowning out potato shoots, taking food and moisture. In addition, various infections and pests pass from weeds to crops.
There are many examples when summer residents received good harvests without hilling potatoes. But such technologies have their own specificity of planting, fertilization. With the traditional approach, hilling is mandatory.
The procedure allows you to provide good illumination to the bushes, food, protects against sudden temperature changes. The soil sprinkled on the roots stimulates the bushes to form additional stolons, and therefore new tubers.
The first hilling is carried out when the seedlings reach 10-12 cm, then another 1-2 times before flowering. Potatoes planted on loamy and clayey soils are huddled; on sandy ridges, the method does not give results.